Everyone knows THC gets you high, but do you know some of the more obscure facts about cannabis & its culture? Sit back & read on...You might just learn something.
1. The first thing bought & sold online was a bag of cannabis
In 1971, students at Stanford used Arpanet accounts at the university’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory to engage in the world’s first e-commerce transaction.
2. The term “marijuana” has racist origins
In the ’30s, Harry Anslinger, the head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics called it "marihuana" in an effort to associate it with Mexican immigrants and stoke white America’s racist fears.
3. Tupac was smoked
After Tupac died, his friends mixed his ashes with cannabis & smoked them...seriously...
4. There are more dispensaries in Colorado than there are Starbucks
5. Shakespeare used cannabis
In 2015, several of William Shakespeare's pipe fragments tested positive for cannabis residue.
6. Iceland loves cannabis more than any other country
18.3% of the population reportedly uses cannabis. Meanwhile, Portugal (where it is legal) doesn’t even crack the top 30, while the Netherlands & Jamaica come in 20th and 22nd place.
7. Black peppercorns can relieve cannabis anxiety
Did you know you can cure the paranoia you get from smoking cannabis? Putting three whole peppercorns in your mouth & eating them can take care of any paranoia when using cannabis. No joke. Couldn’t we just eat some salt and pepper potato chips instead? Apparently there are even pepper essential oils you can get from an aromatherapist to help cure your cannabis related anxiety.
8. Eskimos have 100 words for snow; Americans have more than 200 words for cannabis
Herb. Mary Jane. Pot. Reefer. Trees. Weed. Kush. Bud. Chiba. Dank. Dope. Ganja. Grass. Chronic. Nug. Broccoli...shall Wee go on?
9. It used to be illegal to NOT grow hemp
The Jamestown colony in 1619 passed legislation which meant settlers were forced to grow cannabis. Hemp was a mainstream cash crop that was used to make rope, fabric & ship sails. It was literally against the law not to grow it.
10. Cannabis & beer are botanical cousins
You can thank the terpene Humulene.